Monday, January 14, 2008

'Carbon guilt' - ideal for lapsed Catholics


Lately I've been feeling regular pangs of a distantly familiar feeling which I've struggled to identify until now.
It happens when I book long haul flights or take a taxi instead of the subway. I get it when I forget to bring my own plastic bags to the supermarket and when I leave the TV on standby.

I now recognise this phenomenon to be 'carbon guilt'.

It's the nagging voice that scolds me into apologetic submission for leaving my computer on or using air-conditioning.
This new form of eco-guilt is to be warmly welcomed.
Not only will its net effect on the planet be positive, but it's a perfect antidote to the post-Catholic blues: it's somewhere to channel the guilt.
Al Gore, the high priest of this new religion, should get most of the blame/credit because it was his inconvenient film that really got me (and millions of others) into this self-flagellation. And it's no coincidence that the nagging voice in my head speaks in Gore's baritone.
Fortunately, you can buy carbon credits - the equivalent of 'indulgences' in this new-age non-religion. A UK company will wash away the guilt accrued from my upcoming flight from Beijing to Melbourne for £45.75, which is about €60.
The funny thing is, I don't think I want to be unburdened completely. I'll do what I can to quell that tut-tutting voice within, but I might take the occasional taxi just so I can indulge in a little guilt...

1 comment:

Anne said...

You are hilarious!